As Jack Rickard from EVTV announced last friday, he has been designing a new high output Charger with Netgain Controls capable of 24 kW ! (that is two and half times larger than the 10kW onboard the Tesla Model S)
Jack Rickard mentionned on his website: "The PulsaR is completely new concept for electric vehicles. It takes advantage of the ability to share components that are common between various critical devices to achieve a lower cost, more compact, easier to install product. "
It is called the PulsaR and will become available in december 2012, right on time for Christmas ;-)
More details below:
The PulsaR DC-DC Fast Charger allows charging from DC sources up to 500v at current levels up to 300 amps.
It is FULLY configurable for any pack voltage up to 370v at any desirec current level or taper.
This device can actually charge in EITHER direction - Forwards INTO your vehicle pack or FROM your vehicle pack OUT to another vehicle.
Additionally, it allows 240VAC charging at up to 100 amperes - a 24 kW charger two and half times larger than is provided in the Tesla Model S.
An OBDIII CANbus interface allows you to tie it into modern vehicles and controll it via an ANDROID device very easily.
It provides full ocompaitibility with SAE J1772 level II charging now, and an upgrade path to SAE J1772 Level III Fast charging when finalized. With the addition of the specified connector and a software upgrade, we should be able to adapt to FAST CHARGING whatever it is finalized to be.
This intergrated device vastly simplifies electric vehicle conversions, and enables very powerful and configurable pack charging.
- Works with up to 370VDC battery pack Up to 24kW AC Charging
- Internal DC-DC converter with up to 53A provided to high quality connector, voltage adjustable from 12 to 15 volts via trimpot
- DC FAST charge up to 150kW
- Liquid cooling with large 1/2in diameter tubes for low pressure drop
- Native J1772 compatibility
- All contactors built in
- Dimensions: 18.5x14.5x5.5 inches
- 34 lbs total weight
- Built-in precharging
- OBDII CANbus
- Film capacitors in the power section
- Completely sealed device with cable glands for all power cable connections and high quality waterproof connectors for all other wiring
- Intelligent PWM control for external motor blower
- Liquid cooling pump control output
- Provision for charging of external battery pack from traction pack
- Versatile Operation in the Smallest Footprint Possible
- The PulsaR is completely new concept for electric vehicles. It takes advantage of the ability to share components that are common between various critical devices to achieve a lower cost, more compact, easier to install product.
- Temperature Safety Designed for any temperature situation, the PulsaR internally protects itself from overheating. When using the available cooling kits, temperatures can usually be limited to below 55C. However, some situations can arise causing the temperatures to rise above this (e.g. a pump failure). At 55C, maximum power output capability begins to decrease. At 95C, the amp-output capability hits zero.
- Simple Installation Without Sacrificing Functionality The PulsaR is very simple to install. All connections are clearly marked both externally and internally. It ships with 4 foot pigtails for the three connectors (low power interface, DC-DC, AC/J1772 input).
In addition to the high power cable connections, there are only 16 wires that have to be connected.
An alternate settings input is also available to trigger a different discharge profile. This feature can be used to toggle between two performance modes, with different amp and voltage limitation settings.
High current cables are connected through cable glands and directly to the internal bus bars. Safe, Durable Connections Consumer safety was of utmost priority when designing the PulsaR. As such, the high voltage terminals on the controller were placed inside the enclosure. This eliminates the need for clumsy add-on devices to shield these high voltage connections and makes for a very clean installation.
All other terminals on the device are automotive quality, waterproof connectors.
External Construction Optimized for Size, Weight, Function, and Durability The PulsaR enclosure is completely aluminum, with the top and sides being anodized. These plates are not only visually appealing, they also act as an extra heat sink to wick away heat.
The Quality You'd Expect From NetGain The PulsaR Power Distribution Unit by NetGain Controls, Inc., has the quality you would expect from the NetGain name. The device is built with the highest quality components. Each unit is assembled and tested in a professional electronics assembly facility and shipped in our attractive custom foam packaging.